I had some bananas that, when bought, were green. They skipped the ripe stage and went straight to brown after a few days. I wasn’t about to throw them away. So what do you do? Make banana bread of course!
The recipe I used was actually for Peanut Butter Bacon Banana Bread. I was very close to making this, but I didn’t have much bacon. I think I will later revisit this recipe.
On to the recipe!
Peanut Butter Walnut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This recipe makes one 10 x 6 loaf.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 large egg
2/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 salted butter, melted and cooled (If you use unsalted butter, you need to add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the recipe.)
1/3 creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
4 bananas, mashed (about 2 1/4 cups mashed)
1/3 cup milk
As much walnut (or any other nut) and chocolate chips as you want
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Liberally spray your loaf pan with non-stick spray or grease with butter.
- In the microwave melt your butter and peanut butter, separately. Allow time to cool.
- Mash your bananas. I found using a pastry blender does the job quickly.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt (if using non-salted butter), and set it to the side.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar together until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract, peanut butter, and butter. Add the mashed bananas and the milk. Mix until it is combined.
- Add in your dry ingredients that you set aside earlier to the banana mixture. Add your nuts and chocolate chips. Mix in slowly with a spoon until your batter comes together.
- Pour your batter in the loaf pan. Set it on top of a baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center comes out clean. (I cooked mine for 50 minutes, turned the oven off, let the bread sit in there for 10 minutes. Came out perfectly cooked.)
- Let the bread completely cool before cutting.
This is a really good and dense banana bread. The only negative about it was that it didn’t have that much of a peanut butter taste to it. Next time I will either add more peanut butter or add peanut butter chips to enhance the flavor. Other than that, it was spectacular.
I had it for breakfast for a week straight. I put it in the fridge, wrapped so it would last longer. I cut off a piece and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. So good.
Don’t forget to like my page on Facebook to stay connected!