In my paleo days, breakfast was the least fun meal of the day. I ate so many eggs. I like breakfast foods at breakfast. Call me crazy. It was really hard to get out of the rut of a scrambled egg or fried egg and fruit for breakfast.
I went to one of my favorite paleo websites, PaleOMG, to find some inspiration. I saw that she made a paleo quiche. I LOVE quiche. I love the cheese. I love the crust. I love everything about it. I know quiche is mostly eggs, but for this one I used a lot of veggies in it, so it didn’t seem like too much egg. To make this paleo, she replaced the traditional crust with a meat crust. Genius!
Let’s get to the recipe!
Meat Crust Quiche (original recipe by PaleOMG)
- About 1 pound of your favorite sausage (I used breakfast pork sausage.)
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1 small container of sliced mushrooms
- 1.5 cups of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (You can leave this out if you’re a strict paleonite.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree.
- To make the meat crust, get out whatever type dish you will use to cook the quiche in. Put the breakfast sausage into the dish and start pressing it all over the bottom and sides of the dish. Try to make the meat as even as possible all around. TIP: Make sure you go far up the sides. The meat will shrink as it cooks. I didn’t make the sides go far up, so I didn’t have much of a side meat crust.
- Put the dish on a baking sheet in case some of the oil spills out. Bake the crust for 18-20 minutes until the meat presses back when you poke it. It won’t be completely cooked. That’s ok.
- If you want, you can warm up your veggies in skillet with seasoning and fat. I didn’t since it was just broccoli and mushrooms. If you use sweet potatoes, then I would definitely recommend cooking them first before putting them in the quiche. If you want to add sauteed onions and garlic, this would be a good time to cook those down. Make sure to let anything you cook first to cool down completely.
- Whisk your eggs and seasoning. Add your veggie mix to the egg.
- When your meat crust is done cooking, there will be a lot of oil. Get rid of that oil. Pour the egg mixture on top of the meat crust. I then put the feta cheese on top of that. (Omit that step if you want to stay pure paleo.)
- This goes back in the oven for 23-25 minutes. It may take longer depending the dish you use to bake it in. To see if it has cooked completely, just poke at the middle and it should push back.
This recipe is so adaptable to your liking. Put whatever you want in it! I thought this was a good idea if you want to stay away from flour. It was a really filling breakfast. I ate mine with a bit of sour cream. (Shhhh, don’t tell the paleo people!)
Try this out if you want something slightly different than your normal breakfast!